HIV can be transmitted through :-
- Unprotected sex with an infected person.
- Transfusion of infected blood or blood products.
- Sharing of infected needles or syringes; and infected mother to her child during pregnancy, during birth or after delivery through breast milk.
- These are the only four known routes of HIV transmission. This is because HIV is found in high concentration in blood, semen, vaginal secretions and breast milk.
- HIV does not spread through social contacts like: shaking hands, sharing equipment, eating from the same utensils, sharing toilets etc.